Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ALBUMS



I was browsing through my photo album this morning and came across my High School photos. It’s always nice to look back…sometimes always wishing to turn back time.

And that’s just what I felt when I turned the page, and there posted are my photos during the HS Intramurals. Three of those four years, I was a cheer dancer. In our school it isn’t the usual cheering. There is a theme every year, and vying for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are the four levels. Each level, or team, has its cheer dancers, cheer leaders and its pep squad.

It is a healthy competition of wit for the cheers; steps and stunts for the dancers; coordination and total impact for the whole team. All those years…I remember us getting the 1st and 2nd places. I can even taste the triumph now. After the weeks of constant practice… sometimes under the sun, sometimes even with still aching limbs from yesterday’s rehearsal…the trophy and, moreso, the stature of being the winner pays.

I especially love our costumes. At one point I became a Chinese doll. Even our make-ups were adjusted to make us chinky eyed. Another is when we wore see-through silks over leotards and the beads of pearl around our head looking like a crown made us appear as Muslim princesses. My favorite is when we posed as Bontoc Igorots (one of the natives in the Philippines). Sadly, I’m not sure why, but I don’t have a picture of such except for a newspaper clipping of our winning pose in the campus paper. What is more elating is, we didn’t just got the 1st place this time, but we were able to compete in the Inter-school competition! And though we were not able to get a place in that competition, our originality (us being the only ones not wearing the short-short tut-like skirts the others wear…as was common in all cheerings), our creativity and capability we have, as reflected in our choreography, caught the eye of one of national television’s producer. The dancers (that’s us!) were then chosen to be the guest dancers to be trained for the opening of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA, our country’s version of NBA) of the season.

Something to really be proud of, huh?! And something to definitely not forget=)

No comments:

Search For Posts

RESPECTFULLY YOURS...

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape